| Save Recipe
| Share This Page
| Bookmark This Page
| Amazon Shopping
Shoo-Fly Cookies Recipe
Amish, crackers, recipe, recipes, Shoo-Fly Cookies Recipe
Light corn syrup
All purpose flour
- Pastry for a 2 crust 9 inch pie Shoo-fly pies are not made here (Indiana) as commonly as in Pennsylvania.
- However, this cookie recipe is a wonderful substitute.
- It is like a tender gingerbread in a pastry crust, with a thin, subtle layer of molasses pudding on th bottom.
- Line a 2 quart rectangular glass baking dish with pastry, crimping the dough well at the top and over the sides--you do not want it to slip during baking.
- With a food processor or mixer, combine the crumb ingredients; reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the molasses, corn syrup, salt, baking soda, and boiling water.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid into the pie shell and sprinkle with one-third of the crumb mixture.
- Repeat twice, ending with crumbs.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Watch carefully in the beginning, and if crust begins to slip down, pat it back up with a knife.
- The top will be golden.
- Let cool and cut into 1-1/2 inch squares.
- NOTE: If you really like molasses, use less corn syrup and increase the molasses.